The Last Capitalist

A site dedicated to restoring individualism in the United States of America

Daily(ish) Ayn Rand Quote

Posted by jemartynowski on March 13, 2009

Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others. By what criterion of justice is a consensus-government to be guided? By the size of the victim’s gang.

-“The New Fascism:  Rule by Consensus” from Ayn Rand’s Capitalism:  The Unknown Ideal

This is one of my favorite arguments to get into.  When people talk about how it’s alright for the government to disregard the Constitution to pass laws to help a majority of people, they are missing the point.  If we could do this, then the majority would just always vote themselves more power.  Imagine, if we chose to ignore Constitutional restraints (as we kind of are right now) and let the federal government give money away.  The people getting all the money will be the majority and the people getting it stolen would be the minority.  If we were organized enough, we’d just have 51% of the population vote to take all the money from the other 49% and keep it for ourselves.  Why not?  The majority wanted it that way.  It becomes gang rule.

Advertisements

3 Responses to “Daily(ish) Ayn Rand Quote”

  1. Favela said

    Shouldn’t that be “Rule by Consensus?”

  2. araYan said

    uhm…really wanned to comment on the About-the-Site page. unfortunately, there was no comment form there.

    that page was a brilliant read. short, yes, but stirred up far too many thoughts in my head. and i love articles that do that !

    thanks.

  3. jemartynowski said

    Yep, fixed. Never spell checked the copy-and-pasted part of the post!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: